Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Happy Birthday My Little Handicap

Brock turned 26 years old on January 6th!! Wow, he's getting old. Haha ok not really but I give him a hard time. For his birthday, we woke up and went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Not only is it one of our favorite restaurants but that is also where we had our first date. After breakfast, I surprised Brock with horseback riding. Why horseback riding?? Because my city boy husband has NEVER, I repeat, NEVER been on a horse! Un-American. Well don't worry I fixed that. He was totally surprised (yay!). We went way out to Apache Junction to O.K. Corral. We met a nice lady from Canada who had a rad accent. There were two other people riding with us from Minnesota. Here are some pictures from our ride.
My cutie pie

Me chillin' like a villain

I love the look on Brock's face. It's a mix of "What am I doing?" and "This is gonna be cool."

A view of our ride. Gotta love that Arizona beauty

Our nice tour guide took a picture of us...He kept calling us Arizona. Brock was in the very back.

This is Brock on a horse named Katie. She looked really old. The funniest thing happened to Brock on our trail ride. Brock was in the very back and all of the sudden I hear this "Whoa!" I look back and Brock's horse decided she had an itch... she was walking through these bushes that were almost as tall as I was. It was hilarious... but I guess you kinda had to be there. My horse was named Whiskey and he kept stopping to eat. It was awesome. I usually let him eat for a minute then I would put him back on track. Now Brock can say he has ridden a horse. After the horseback ride, we went to see the movie Avatar. It was pretty good. Long, but good. Brock was like a kid in a candy store watching the movie. He wants an Avatar... no, I take that back. He wants to BE an Avatar. He's so funny... he gets so caught up in the movie and I honestly think he believes it's real. He cried when I told him it wasn't real. Just kidding not really. That would be kinda funny/sad. So... now onto the rest of the birthday events. Brock and his brothers went to Yuma to ride the dunes for a couple days and Brock came back looking like this....

I know Brock is going to kill me for putting this picture up. I just had to show off my Saran Wrap job. We had to cover his arms for his shower so I used Saran Wrap and painters tape. Anyways, I get this phone call from his brother Eric last Saturday informing me Brock has been hurt but he's going to be ok. Ummm, come again? Brock is always pulling my chain so I thought his brother was helping him play a trick on me. He's like the Boy Who Cried Wolf. I asked him if he was joking and he said he wished he was. Then, in the background I can hear machines beeping and I knew this was no joke. All I was told at first was Brock crashed pretty hard but he's stable and they're going to do x-rays and a CT scan. I wait & wait with nothing (meanwhile going crazy) from anyone. Brock's brothers didn't know a whole lot either. Finally, Brock's brother Kyle called to tell me the story. Brock & Eric went to go to the bathroom Saturday morning and afterwards decided to go ride around for a bit. Brock hasn't been to the dunes in years and hasn't been on a dirtbike either. Brock started feeling comfortable on his bike and was hitting jumps here & there... just loving life right? Not for long. Eric goes over this hill that looks like it doesn't drop off but it does. He wasn't going very fast so he had no complications. He turned around to warn Brock but it was too late. He turned around to see Brock flying over the 15 foot hill and wrecking. Brock landed on the handle bars and who knows what else happened. The rest of the details are sketchy but that's the jist of the story. Brock has broken both wrists, the left one being worse than the right. He had them splinted and was sent home. We've already seen a surgeon and he's getting surgery on both wrists tomorrow (please pray for him).
This has been very trying for the both of us. Brock can't use his hands or fingers. He can't scratch an itch, get dressed, brush his teeth, or anything. Guess who gets to do it for him?? That's right, his mother. Haha just kidding it's me. When I tell people his wrists are broken they're like "How is he gonna go to the bathroom?!" Uh... pretty sure that's why I'm here. It definitely has been interesting. Let's just say none of my patient's get anywhere near the type of treatment that Brock gets haha. Ok, granted I'm his wife but still. Anyways, I've been doing all kinds of interesting things. I won't go too much into detail but both of us have had our patience put to the test. Mainly mine haha I get mad at Brock for not listening to his wife who is a nurse and knows all (and for having to pick his nose when I don't want to). We did have a little birthday celebration for him. Please excuse my extreme scrounginess (spelling??). Having Brock incapacitated is like having a big baby. I have to bathe him, dress him, feed him, etc. Soooo.... now I understand why a lot of mother's don't take good care of themselves. It's too much work haha. I'm lazy anyway but it's been worse since I've had to take care of Brock AND myself.

Brock's birthday cake thanks to his sister Calli. Brock looks like he's in pain because he is. We've had such a hard time getting his pain under control. I've been giving him pain medication around the clock. Don't worry I'm not drugging him he actually needs it (kinda).

This is Brock smiling because he knows surgery is tomorrow and he can't wait!! Hopefully surgery will fix everything and Brock will be able to get back to bed. I will keep ya'll posted. Thanks to Brock's sisters Shalene & Calli and also his mother for watching him while I'm at work and for helping out in general. I couldn't have done it without you!!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Oh my gosh poor guy!! I dont know if i feel worse for you or him. You should have your dad come install a badae. Maybe save some of his dignity lol. Good luck with surgery.

Bonnie and Kirk said...

Poor Brock. Poor you! He's lucky to have such a great wife who just happens to be a nurse. Hang in there. We're praying for him.

amber said...

How sad! I feel bad for the both of you. Hopefully everything went okay with his surgery!